Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Good Bye Buck

Buck Owens passed away on March 25, 2006.

The tunes of Buck Owens were the music of my parents, my dad in particular. I sort of absorbed a lot of his music as a child. Then, when I was an adult, I discovered a lost piece of my childhood in his music. I think his music harkens back to a day when my dad was more of a dad.

I remember Buck on the TV show Hee-Haw. When Buck started that show he was a big star. But, wearing overalls and making corny jokes took away from his country music career.

The inside cover on the CD, Buck Owens All-Time Greatest Hits, says: "The Beatles were great fans of Buck and requested that we send them every new record and album when they were released."

His song, "I've Got a Tiger by the Tail" spoke to me as I was getting engaged and then married. In the song he sings about it being a negative thing because he couldn't control her. For me it was intriguing to be marrying a lady who was interesting, dynamic and free spirited.

There's a clip of a music video he did with Dwight Yoakam singing "The Streets of Bakersfield" that's pretty good on his web site: http://www.buckowens.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home