Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Openness

I believe a mark of a good leader is someone who will take the risk to be open about his or her thoughts with other people. The challenge for the leader is that you risk being criticized. But, the flip side is worse. If people don't know what you're thinking, they'll make guesses that are usually very incorrect.

President Bush's recent unscripted town hall meeting in Cleveland and then his White Press conference got me thinking about this. I give him credit for being willing to open himself up to questions from people who disagree with him. He's usually kept himself from this kind of situation.

I want to be the kind of person who opens up his thoughts to others whether I'm in a leadership position or not. Openness works better with my wife, my friends and co-workers.

Living with open hands toward God and others. That's my goal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

That's a great goal Kevin. I was thinking the same thing about President Bush when I heard his response to Helen what's-her-bucket (yeah, I really know what I'm talking about...). President Clinton was so much better at PR. I'm not sure that meant he was open. Anyway, yay George! Yay Kev!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home