Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ugly Politics

I admit to being more harsh on the political right versus the political left on my blog. I once strongly identified myself as a conservative and a libertarian. As a result, it's easy to see the weaknesses in my formerly held points of view.

But, to be fair, I'd like to bring up an example of my irritation with the political left on the confirmation of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court.

On C-Span and on radio talk shows I heard people claiming the rights of women and minorities would be threatened. They talked about women having to have back alley abortions. The rights of minorities would be turned back to the 1950's.

Come on. Give me a break. In the unlikely event that Roe vs. Wade was overturned, do we really think that women will lose all their other rights? My guess is that abortion would still be legal most places so that women would still be free to get abortions. Do we really think we would go back to government approved racism against minorities? I don't think this is realistic.

It's fine if you don't agree with him or if you are concerned how he might rule. You can vote against him. I have concerns how he might rule in certain types of cases.

But, making wild accusations about the impact of his decisions is just a lot of hot air meant to get their political base riled up. People who are angry are more likely to give money or vote for their candidate.

I despise ugly political games like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home