Sunday, January 29, 2006

Bloviating Senators

I heard the word bloviate in context by a commenator on a news show and I immediately knew the definition.

Rather than ask the Supreme Court nominee tough questions and let him express his views, some Senators chose to bloviate.

Bloviate - To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

I would also define it as people who love to hear themselves talk.

Can I call you and bloviate?

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Only if I can cobloviate.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Here's a theory: maybe the word bloviate is from the infinitive "to blave," which according to the magician in The Princess Bride means, "to bluff." Which either means they are lying, or that they really are expressing true love, which can only mean good things for Alito.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home