Thursday, February 09, 2006

My Desires to the Basement

My boxes have made their way to the only open space left in our home, the basement. I had to take my boxes out of the room that will soon be his.

I feel that the boxes are a good representation of my desires. My desires haven't left the house. They have just been put in a lower priority. Being a good parent will often mean leaving my desires at the door and giving him whatever he needs. Getting married gave me a taste of this, but I think having a child will be a whole new world of this.

Yet, it's not easy to move all this stuff. When the boxes were neatly tucked in the closet I could forget they were there. Bringing them out of the closet reminds me of all this stuff I have. I know I want to go through them. I want a simpler life. I want less stuff. Yet, the idea of sorting it all out overwhelms me.

So, for now, the boxes have been moved. The sorting of all my stuff can wait for another day. The room is now prepared for our little guy to arrive. And besides, I know I will be far more fulfilled by laying down my desires for the sake of my son.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevmo said...

I bet you're right. Thanks.

9:51 PM  
Blogger FemmeMode said...

Hey Kev...I don't think we've ever met...but Patty (Just Pat) is one of my favorite friends - My husband, Russ and I live in Texas with our 2.5yr old daughter!

I loved this post...we are in the process of packing up our "old life" and moving to NYC so Russ can go to Optometry school.

You post makes me think, "I wonder how many of the storage boxes will become soooo unimportant over the 5 years we will be in a tiny apartment living a simple life??"

Makes me want to lighten my load a lot more!!

Also...You will LOVE LOVE LOVE being a Parent...and oh, a daddy!
I love watching my husband for the last 2.5yrs. with our angel!! Daddy's are special...and will have a place that is like no other - Mommy's are great...and soo important the first few years...but, these little ones find their identity in their daddies.

How beautiful at this age you are their god - what an awesome responsibility for you...and Russ. Showing this generation Love, Respect, obedience, and all the other awesome qualities to have an amazing relationship with the creator of the unniverse!
D~

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home