Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Daddy's Goal

Lily Tomlin said, "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific."

I love that quote. Lily's vague goal set her up to never know if she actually was somebody. Was she someone after she starred in a movie or TV show? Or, was that not enough?

Soon I'll have a baby son. I want to be a great dad. Defining what a great dad is, will be important for me. It's a vague idea that's a setup for failure.

I've seen some parents look to their kids to validate their sense of being a great parent. If the kids are good, then, the parent it Ok. If the kids are bad, then the parent is bad. It can get ugly when the parent tries to manipulate the kid into better behavior for their own sense of being ok.

Perhaps a specific goal for me would be to express love to my son every day in word and deed. In the process of loving my son this way, I will be a great dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home