Thursday, February 16, 2006

Quotes to Groove On

I've been so refreshed lately by getting out of my office at lunch. Starbucks or Beaners has been the spot for some reading & writing. I've enjoyed the latest issue of the magazine called The Sun. They have a section called Sunbeams. A couple of these quotes blew me away.

"The strength of a man's virtue should not be measured by his special exertions, but by his habitual acts." Blaise Pascal - I think of my father's habitual act of drinking that defined much of his life. Yes, he had his moments of special exertion but it is in the habitual that he was defined.

"It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars." Garrison Keillor - I tried to avoid scars by hiding from people for many years. It was a shallow life lived in fear.

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." Ann Landers - Clearly Ann needs to take her own advice here. Do cats count? We have one who adores me.

"A man who looks for security, even in the mind, is like a man who would chop off his limbs in order to have artificial ones which will give him no pain or trouble." Henry Miller - Hmmm...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these - I really enjoyed them.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Headless-in-GR said...

Yay!!! Such fun ones!!! I'll have to lift some for my email quotes!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home