Thursday, March 30, 2006

Straddlers

I'm a straddler.

Alfred Lubrano defines a straddler: "Being the white-collar child of a blue-collar parent makes you a Straddler, with one foot in the working class, the other in the middle class, completely at home in neither world. It's the part of the American dream you may never have heard about: the costs of social mobility." Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams

My blue-collar side: Nascar, football, hamburgers, beer, Buck Owens (who just recently passed away) & George Jones CD's.

My white-collar side: reading, writing, National Public Radio, Starbucks coffee, jogging, Bombay Sapphire

He says the working class has an ethic of straight talking, being up front and honest with people. This kind of behavior is not always welcome or understood in middle class working world. But, I still think that with some wisdom, being upfront and honest with people is the way to go. I think it can actually work as an asset for you in the middle class world because people learn to trust you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I'm with you Kevin.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I have never heard the term, I guess I am a straddler as well. The more I think about it so are most of my friends. Do we gravitate toward each other because we aren't comfortable in either world?

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home