Thursday, December 01, 2005

Grizzled Souls

Sitting in the airport I see hundreds of different people. They all have bodies, some pretty and some not so pretty. I am prone to just see the body and react primarily by their looks.

But, what make each of us very unique is our soul, the essence of who we are. When someone dies, we don't talk about whether they had a great body or not. We talk about the person, their personality, their character, their deeds. These are the reflections of the soul.

What is their soul like? Have they walked through deep pain in their lives? Are they happy go lucky? Are they mad at the world? Do they love richly? Do they bless their family?

I see great beauty in a soul who has been wounded deeply yet chooses to keep his/her heart open. That's a grizzled soul. Grizzled souls enrich our lives and our communities. Who are the grizzled souls you know?

4 Comments:

Blogger Headless-in-GR said...

Chicken grizzle! Haha!

Seriously though, I think I do know some...but tell me, do you ever wonder if the body can tell you something about the soul?

11:18 PM  
Blogger Kevmo said...

Yes, I do think the body can be a window. The way someone carries themself or their facial expression can tell us a lot.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I've never quite thought of my sister as a "grizzled" soul, according to your definition, she definitely is. She's had serious health issues all her life. She has now lived 40 years longer than a doctor once predicted. And she has lived faster, fuller, deeper, etc than most people. She's quite the grizzled angel.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Kevmo said...

Thanks Lolly. Your sister indeed sounds like my definition of a grizzled soul. She enriches our world.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home