Monday, November 21, 2005

The Alexander Technique

I heard of the Alexander Technique from my beautiful wife. This technique had helped take away the pain she was experiencing in her back while playing the flute. There was a discount sessions for this at the Marywood Center so I gave it a try.

The words that came to mind after the first session were: "fruit loops". It felt weird and relaxing but I couldn't see how it would help with my back issues. He didn't even talk about my back except this odd concept of lengthening my spine. But, I knew I was outside of my area of understanding so I took more sessions and have learned some things.

For example, I found that I walked leaning back a little too much. As a result, much my weight was hitting the floor through my heel. That's why I sound like Frankenstein tromping around the house. With a slight bit of a natural forward lean, my weight is absorbed by my knees, ankles and feet.

Learning to sit differently is still a challenge. I'm trying to sit with my hips upright instead of rocked back. When the hips are rocked back it creates a sag in the lower back. Eventually that can create back problems.

Sometimes that which feels like fruit loops is good for you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Captainwow said...

mmmmmmmmmm! FROOT LOOPS!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruit Loops are my FAVORITE!!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home