Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Prayer for Today

"O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved, as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life." Al-Anon Just for Today

The opportunity to be other-centered, or in other words, dying to me. It is process that leads to true life. A life devoted to the good of others. I'm guessing having a child will be another step in this process for me.

I think of the caterpillar giving up the cocoon in order to become a butterfly. Selflessness is beautiful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Headless-in-GR said...

I don't know how, but it feels like to me that selflessness is attached to...something else. I don't know exactly what it's attached to - security and peace sound a little trite, but close.

Anyway, I'm trying to say that being selfless, while admirable when it's a choice, is a hell of lot easier when it flows out of...whatever that other thing is.

Did that make sense?

2:54 PM  
Blogger Kevmo said...

Yes, I think I know what you're getting at Headless-in-gr. I'm the master of 1 week change me programs. I focus on 1 thing for a week in hopes that I will be different.

Yet, there's deeper issues involved here. If I am not also taking action to change the course of my soul, then my next self-improvment plan will not work.

Does that touch on what you're getting at?

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevmo - This was a really good post for me this week. I've been feeling sorry for myself lately. Reading your post made me sit up a little and think that maybe it's gone on long enough, and that my current state is getting me NOWHERE. Thanks!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Yep, I'm with headless. I think selflessness is attached to security and peace, trite or not. They allow us to trust and leave ourselves behind.

I wish I could say it was all about clinging to Jesus, but personally I can recall times I was clinging to Jesus and not selfless at all. I think healing needs to take place that produces security and peace.

And sometimes, God just gives us the grace to forget ourselves without the process.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home