Saturday, November 19, 2005

Window Dressing on Ugliness

Headless made a great comment on the 11/16/05 blog post. Those comments have caused me to reflect on these daily sayings or daily goals that I've been putting on my blog lately.

Ok, so today's goal is that I'm going to love people. Have you tried that one? I used to try that but would struggle loving people I didn't like and then feel guilty about it.

Yes, I do think daily sayings or goals have merit because they point me toward something that is good for other people. But, just saying these things every day without changing the patterns of my thinking, feelings & bodily habits is just window dressing on ugliness.

It's like taking one of those courses where you learn to ask people questions about themselves. But, you're just pretending to be interested in them so you can sell more or be better liked.

I must be in the process of an inner life transformation. This only works for me when God is deeply involved. Otherwise these daily sayings or goals turn into a vain attempt to cover-up the ugliness within.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home