Friday, November 25, 2005

Leading in weakness

I really appreciate leaders who create an environment for others that allows them to be real. Vulnerability by the leader makes space for people to share those difficult parts of their lives. When the leader sets the tone this way people realize that they are not going to be "fixed" by the group or get talked down to for their problem.

I've had that unpleasant experience in a group setting where I shared a difficult part of my life only to have some know it all try to solve my problems. Their life might be a mess but they have all the answers for my life. Ugh! I really hate that.

Yet, it's challenging to stick your neck out there to test the waters even if you're the leader or the facilitator. It's a risk. I appreciated so how Mr. B. led at the Sunday potlucks. He'd share about depressions & joys, his marital victories & conflicts, parenting challenges and satisfactions. His life was open to us.

Funny thing is that when I am vulnerable, people are usually drawn to me. I always feel that people will be repelled by my brokenness so my first instinct is to stay quiet.

I want to be one who will help create space for others by leading in weakness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

You know, we are stupid sometimes. We talk when we should listen, we offer solutions when we should understand, we judge when we should relate. Reading this post reminds me of moments I've disclosed stuff and then wished to God I had never opened my mouth. Sadly, I'm sure I've had the same effect on others.

Part of my growing in Christ is learning to have grace for those who fail to protect my heart when it is exposed. It sounds lonely, but it is really freeing for me to lean on the power of Jesus to love those who have unintentionally trampled on my soul's pearls.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Kevmo said...

Well stated Just Pat. You are wise and mature.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home