Monday, November 28, 2005

Too Tough to Read

I've got 3 books on my shelf that I once started to read but couldn't finish. The content pushed my buttons and I put it down.

Last week I finally picked up one of those books, "Healing the Shame that Binds You" by John Bradshaw. I put it down before because it hit too close to home. The content felt overwhelming because it was stirring up emotions I didn't know how to handle.

Reading it this week has not been overwhelming. It simply confirms much of what it took me years to admit about myself and my family system. Before I always got stuck in his detailed descriptions of the shame based family system in the first three chapters. Now, in chapter 4 he begins to talk about the road toward growth and healing. Ah...light at the end of the tunnel.

I am truly grateful to work at changing family patterns before our little guy arrives. The healthier I am, the better life he will have. I ask for the grace of God in this process.

The other books I've never finished: "Wounded Heart" by Dan Allender and "Ruthless Trust" by Brennan Manning.

1 Comments:

Blogger brenda said...

Kev,
You are writing some great stuff, reading good stuff and thinking good stuff! way to go! I am proud and happy that you are sharing what is happening in your life, heart and mind,
Brenda

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home