Saturday, December 10, 2005

Stress Free Productivity

Last week I was reading the magazine, Cutting Edge. They interviewed a guy named David Allen. He said that trying to keep track of all the things that need to get done in our head creates a lot of stress. I applied this idea by writing down all the open commitments at work so that I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting anything. It helped reduce some of my stress and allowed me to focus on one task at a time.

Because that was helpful I thought I try his book, Getting Things Done, The Art of Stress-Free Productivity. He suggested an exercise in the first chapter that took 2 minutes and was helpful once again. I picked the most stressful looming task at work. He said, "Now write down the very next physical action required to move the situation forward." I did this in regards to the upcoming audit and I recognized that my stress level went down a small notch. Having my next action step in mind helps me let go of it today knowing what I will do about it on Monday.

I am hopeful of making some changes that will lead to a lower stress life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I get caught up like that too, Kevmo. I've been multi-tasking for a living for so many years that I find it hard not to juggle multiple issues in my head. Like the book says, I find my best remedy for mental bogging is "just do it." I don't always take my medicine, but when I do it works!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home