Sunday, December 11, 2005

Mistakes

Today I was reminded that mistakes are not a character indictment. Mistakes are learning tools to help me learn what and what doesn't work.

If I run around constantly afraid of making mistakes, my creativity and spontaneity wither. It's hard to learn new things if I'm afraid of making mistakes.

Yet, I've lived much of my life trying to avoid mistakes. God, grant me the grace to pursue a life that is not boxed in by my fear of failure.

How do you deal with failure?

2 Comments:

Blogger Headless-in-GR said...

Oh yeah! I took me a LONG time to get where I could make mistakes and be ok with it. It started for me, when I was taking ice skating lessons in Texas...

(That's a story in itself!)

Anyway, it became obvious to me that those who fell down a lot ended up doing better, not worse. So, I learned to fall a lot!

However, there still are spots in my life where I get hung up on the "character indictment" of mistakes. And now that I think about it, maybe some mistakes are character "indicators" which indeed reflect our current character, but do not damn us to a life of that character. Like a mirror - "here's what you're like now" - and we can choose to do something about it?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Kevmo said...

Yes. Thank you Headless. Can I learn how to do this without ice skating?

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home