Sunday, June 03, 2007

Riding the bus

I never seriously considered taking the bus to work until one of our cars got held hostage by our mechanic (it's a long story that I'll tell you about at another time). After looking into it I found a route that drops me off right in front of my work place. It only takes 25 minutes and has been a great option since we're down to one car.

Taking the bus is actually a relaxing way to commute to work. No traffic headaches. Just chilling reading a book.

I admit to having the typical stereotypes of people that ride the bus - poor inner city people. The reality is a broad cross-section of people of all colors take the bus - students & professionals, blue collar & white collar, middle class & poor.

A few years ago we hired someone at work who didn't have a car and took the bus to work. I offered him a ride sometimes because I couldn't imagine someone having to take the bus. I felt like the whole idea of working was being to afford a car so you didn't have to take the bus. I've come a long way from that idea.

I figured out that the cost of the bus fare is nearly the same as the gas I use commuting to work with our car. If you use the IRS mileage rate, it's far cheaper to take the bus.

It's great when I take the bus because that keeps the car available for my wife & our son. Also, it's a small way to reduce the consumption of resources and pollution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home