Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Mall

I've been visiting the mall more in the past 2 months than I've visited in the past 2 years. It's one of the few places in the dead of winter that we can put our little boy in the stroller and walk. And, since he can now crawl, he plays in the kids area. So, I'm grateful for these opportunities for our little guy.

On the other hand, I'm appalled at the mall. The mall is a well adorned warehouse filled with products mostly made in other countries. The stores are mostly staffed by low wage check out clerks. Most of the products have huge mark ups over their cost. Who benefits in this situation?

The mall promotes a culture of materialism and consumerism. Or, perhaps the mall is the result of our insatiable desire for stuff. Yes, we need clothes so I have no problem with that. Yet, our local mall probably has 50 stores all selling clothes. Some variety is good but this is overkill.

We live in a free society so people are able to buy and build whatever we want. Yet, I have a sense that this kind of culture leads us away from a life that is good for our soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home